Mr. Kottaras has represented buyers and sellers in real transactions...Read More
Welcome To JKLAWS: Chicago’s Leading Landlord Advocate & Real Estate Law Firm
Thank you for visiting our website. We have been serving our clients for over two decades with professional and responsive representation. We offer complete real estate services, including legal and brokerage services. We will provide you with honest and competent advice for all your residential, commercial and investment needs. We are committed to:
- Personal Attention
Over the course of nearly two decades of legal practice, Chicago real estate attorney James Kottaras has earned a reputation with his clients as a skillful and knowledgeable negotiator and litigator. Which is why most of his clients are repeat clients or referrals from previous clients. At the Law Office of James Kottaras, we understand that "word-of-mouth" advertising is always the best form of advertising. That is why we make every effort to ensure that your interests are protected and that you leave fully-satisfied with the outcome of your case or transaction.Who we are:
Our firm has been at the forefront of Chicago's real estate market, having provided skilled and experienced legal counsel to a myriad of clientele, ranging from property developers to financial institutions to homeowner associations to private individuals. Chicago real estate attorney James Kottaras is recognized in the legal community as a "tried and tested" litigator and zealous advocate of his client's interests. Our firm exclusively represents landlords in residential and commercial eviction cases, commercial lease negotiations, corporate and business formation, sales and purchases of real estate and businesses and other related transactions. We are dedicated to your success and provide all our clients with the highest level of professionalism and integrity, while also maintaining a high level of personal service and a fee structure that will not become a financial burden to you.Who we Represent:
Chicago real estate lawyer James Kottaras has represented residential and commercial property landlords, condominium and homeowner associations, land trusts, trustees, receivers, management companies and real estate developers in thousands of eviction cases and other real estate-related litigation in Chicago and suburban Cook County, Illinois. His years of practice and tenacious advocacy of his client’s cases has earned him the respect and good reputation before the sitting Judges and the legal community as a whole.
Mr. Kottaras has also represented sellers and buyers in real transactions, residential and commercial, valued in excess of $100 Million Dollars. We have represented first-time homebuyers, multi-family investors and seasoned developers. No matter who the client may be, we will provide you with the same personal attention and experience, from contracting to closing, to guarantee that your real estate transaction is closed efficiently and without delay.
Mr. Kottaras is also a licensed and practicing real estate broker who, combined with his legal training and experience, can provide you with the greatest skill and insight in reviewing and/or preparing your real estate contracts and disclosures and in negotiating the purchase price, prorations and closing credits.For Landlords:
At the Law Office of James Kottaras, our primary objective is always to expedite the eviction process for the client. We do this by making sure that the proper procedures are followed, so as to avoid any unnecessary delays.
Many times, Landlords that represent themselves in Court waste valuable time and expense by failing to use the proper Termination Notice form or failing to serve it in accordance with the statutory requirements. Common mistakes are also often made on the court pleadings and/or the eviction Order involving the proper party names or occupants named as defendants. Mistakes like these will usually result in the dismissal of your case and the unnecessary loss of valuable time and the costs associated with it, including the continued loss of rent, costs to re-file the case and costs re-serve the tenant.
Unfortunately, many tenants are all-too familiar with the court procedures from involvement in prior evictions or receiving pro bono advice and know how to “game” the system*. For these reasons, it is crucial that the landlord retain the services of a lawyer who is intimately familiar with the workings of the Cook County Court system. We have been fighting and advocating exclusively on behalf of landlords for many years and can assist you in avoiding these type of delays.
The legal services we provide to Landlords include:
- Reviewing the Lease and any other relevant documents, records & notices;
- Preparing the appropriate Termination Notice (5-Day, 10-Day, 30-Day);
- Ensuring that the Termination Notice is properly served, in accordance with current case law and statutory requirements;
- Drafting the Complaint & Summons;
- Filing the Complaint & Summons with the Clerk of the Court and Sheriff;
- Ensuring that service of the Complaint & Summons have been completed by the Sheriff or, otherwise, taking the necessary steps to serve by a licensed Special Process Server or by Publication (Sheriff’s Posting);
- Preparing for and attending Court hearings with all the necessary documents, notices and records; hyper-links to forms to be provided on website
- Meeting with and negotiating a possible settlement with the tenant which would be beneficial to the Landlord in timing and/or limiting exposure to any potential liability.
- In cases where settlement cannot be reached, preparing for Trial and obtaining an Order for Possession (i.e. Eviction Order) and money Judgment for unpaid rent and court costs;
- Filing the Order for Possession with the Sheriff for enforcement;
*In certain cases in which the tenant attempts to prolong the eviction proceeding by requesting endless continuances or by the filing of a Jury Demand, we will routinely file a Motion for Use and Occupancy, in which case the Judge will order the tenant to pay rent during the pendency of the case. In many cases were the tenant willfully refuses to pay the Court-ordered rent, we are then able to have an Order for Possession entered as a sanction for the tenant’s violation of the Court Order.For Sellers/Buyers:
If you are selling or purchasing real estate, either residential, multi-family or commercial, in Chicago or the suburban Cook County area, we can assist you in ensuring that your closing is handled efficiently and expeditiously.
We have personally represented buyers & sellers in real estate closings valued at over $100 Million throughout the past 20+ years. In many such transactions, even the most sophisticated seller or buyer can become overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork and the many requirements that are necessary to complete a closing in Illinois.
However, for a low flat-fee, we will guide you through this often complex process and deal with the other parties' brokers, attorneys, lenders, appraisers, inspectors and surveyors.
For Sellers, we can even prepare a Power of Attorney for you, so that you don't have to attend the closing. We will provide you with all the paperwork in advance of the closing for your review and we can even Wire the closing funds to your bank account.
Our low flat-fee rates include all of the customary legal services you would expect, but unlike many other law firms who do not concentrate in real estate, we can also provide you the best insights and advice that will make the process run smoothly and will maximize your net sales proceeds.
Put our years of experience to work for you. Call our office today or just fill-out the "Ask a Question" form on this website and receive a free phone consultation.Practice Areas:
- Residential Evictions - Residential Landlord Tenant
- Commercial Evictions - Commercial Landlord Tenant
- Real Estate Closings - Residential & Commercial (Seller & Buyer)
- Condominium Closings & Litigation
- Business Sales & Contract Review
- Commercial Leases drafting & review (Landlord & Tenant);
- Real Estate Contract & Lease Negotiation
- Commercial Real Estate Litigation
- Property Manager Representation
- Land Trusts Formation & Administration
- Premises Liability-Injury Law
- Real Property Insurance Claims
- Title Insurance & Claims
- Commercial Property Accidents
- Escrow Deposit Disputes
- Partition Actions
- Real Estate Broker - Procuring Cause Cases
- Real Estate Broker Litigation
- Quiet Title Actions